Sunday

VU

I can't be for certain that  Initally learned about BDSM from the Velvet Underground, but I most definitely gleaned a bit of knowledge about it from my interest in the band and before that Andy Warhol.

I first got turned on to them in High School while reading one of my all time favorite books "Edie," for a big report I did on Andy Warhol. Subsquently I had to look up other stuff, "who are the Marquise de Sade and Leopold von Sacher-Masoch?" and "what is a femme fatale," and why the fuck would anyone do heroin?

I was a total art fag in college (dead milkmen reference, anyone?anyone?), and I recall having a postcard of the book that inspired the song "Venus in Furs" over my dorm room bed. Still, I am unsure if I really "got" it.  I think I just knew it that S&M was dark and deviant. I am not that old, but damn when there was no internet zooming information into my home, you actually had to make an effort to obtain information.

So here I am many years later looking through the eyes of a submissive in training, and damn if I keep finding the obvious that has been in my life for eons. Just the other day I was riflig through my music collection to pick something to listen to on the way to work and the first Velvet Underground & Nico album was there under the dusty jewel cases. The one with the infamous banana cover.

For those of you who are not familar with the Velvet Underground, they were a highly influential band formed in the mid sixties and were part of the whole Warhol "Factory" crowd. For more on them here is a brief history. Below are a few videos:


Venus in Furs



and because no one is sexier than Nico (R.I.P.)

Femme Fatale

1 comments:

Laani said...

Holy crap! i knew you were a kindred spirit!
my current tote is a canvas bag my Mom gave me with an ugly aquarium print on it. Well, i never used it until my fave dead milkmen t-shirt went tattered. i didn't want to throw it away, so i cut out the front and glued it over the horrendous fish.
"You know what, Stuart? I like you. You're not the other people, here...in the trailer park."
kisses
laani